Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Gendance Interview with Ann Marie DeAngelo

1. Looking back on your performance career, what has been your most memorable moment? How did you get there?
I always look forward so it is hard to look back! But, Robert Joffrey told me he’d never use me in his company because I was too short. A few years later, as a principal dancer in the Joffrey, I was interviewed for Time Magazine - and the guy asked me what it felt like to be “short”. I said, “I never felt short”. In that moment I realized that it took unadulterated commitment, focus and great passion to get there.


2. Tell us about your involvement with Career Transition for Dancers. Did they influence your personal journey?
As a former board member for 12 years - and always working with dancers to further their careers, I was thrilled to find an organization committed to these goals and more.

3. Tell us the challenges (and any funny stories as well) about being a movement coach for Bette Midler.
I met her through Toni Basil. She was more focused in ballet class than most dancers I teach today.

4. Being a principal dancer with Joffrey was....
......was influential to my current artistic aesthetic - that of diversity and appreciation for history.

5. You play so many roles: choreographer, artistic director, producer, teacher. What’s your favorite and why?
Each role competes with each other because I love them all. But, being a multi-faceted artist is to know that you can only do all things at once, if you do one thing at a time.

6. What is your wish for the next generation of performing artists?
To be much more committed to what is needed for creating the “art” in performing.

7). Besides dance, you love…
Yorkies.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]